How to order property signs for your private property

How to order property signs for your private property

How to order property signs for your private property

What to consider before ordering your property signs

Property signs are more complicated then most may think. If you are in construction, in government, a property manager, or a board member they may be a time you need to order some property signs. Understanding the process to ordering your property signs is very important. Here is what you should consider when ordering your property signs.

1. Know your local laws

If you are ordering property signs for a public area, then you will need to follow the U.S. Department of Transportation Laws (Federal Highway Administration). All their laws can be found in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, MUTCD.

The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways, or MUTCD defines the standards used by road managers nationwide to install and maintain traffic control devices on all public streets, highways, bikeways, and private roads open to public travel. The MUTCD is published by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) under 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655, Subpart F.

If you are ordering property signs for a private community then you will need to confirm the local laws with your city first. If your city doesn’t have it’s own laws for private property then you follow Federal Laws for all traffic signs and may have more leniency for other property signs.

2. Rules based on type of property signs

There are rules to follow depending on the type of property signs you may need. For example, dog regulation signs will not have regulations for Federal compliance. However, a Stop Sign will need to fall under FHWA regulations.

If the public travels on p199roperty that you own or manage, your traffic signs, pavement markings, and other traffic control devices are now required to conform to the MUTCD.

The 2009 MUTCD requires that Street Name Signs be mixed upper and lower case copy with new size requirements based on roadway type and speed. Specific color combinations are also designated.

Breakaway sign supports are required on all roads open to public travel with speeds over 50 MPH.

There are upgraded minimum retro-reflectivity requirements on all signs throughout the 2009 MUTCD. Also, it is now required to implement and maintain an assessment or management method to maintain traffic sign retro reflectivity.

3. Property signs installation requirements

Yes, your property signs have regulations for installation as well. The installation process also varies with the type of property sign needed. For example, a pool regulation sign will have no installation specifics. However, an End of Roadway sign will need to meet specific requirements such as in ground depth, pole height, and distance from the street.

Purchasing property signs is a delicate task and it is important to make sure that you order your property signs from someone knowledgeable in FHWA regulations.

If you are replacing current property signs make sure they meet the current MUTCD standards.

Contact a Top Class Signs and Printing representative for help with your property signs needs or to place an order, 305-433-5574.

Let's talk

If you want to get a free consultation without any obligations, fill in the form below and we'll get in touch with you.